Monday, July 27, 2009

'Shroom crazy

What, another mushroom post? Sorry I can't resist. There seems to be an interesting specimen everywhere I look lately. We're having a milder, wetter summer than usual, which I suspect is the reason for the abundant fungus. I took all these pictures in the past two days.


This dainty white mushroom was nestled in a heavily shaded spot near a little-used trail. Please don't take my word for it, but I think this is a parasol mushroom, an edible species.

























This red beauty was standing all alone in a mowed strip along the road. It was very small, just about 2.5 inches high. The photo doesn't fully capture the sheen on the cap. I though this was a very sexy little 'shroom.

























There are a lot of these freckled, gray mushrooms under the tree canopy, mostly in very damp places. I think they may be a more mature form of parasol mushroom. The ghostly color is beautiful against the brown weeds.

























This variety of cup-shaped mushroom is big and showy, with a cap about six inches across. The gills give it the look of something that belongs on the floor of the ocean.





















And in case you're interested in an update on the magical 'shroom garden, I documented its fate. After a few days of maturing and a heavy rain, the "petals" softened and spread, almost as if the mushrooms had melted.
























And then something--probably a hungry deer--demolished them. All things must pass. I hope the deer enjoyed them.























All photos by me, and you're welcome to share them freely. In case this post hasn't sated your desire for mushroom pictures, check out David Fischer's American Mushroom Gallery.

6 comments:

Bozo said...

These are beautiful photographs!

BitterGrace said...

Thanks, Bozo. Mushrooms pose so nicely...

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a bounty. That parasol mushroom looks like a scoop if ice cream. I recognize the red-capped one and the brown one with gills as edible, but don't quote me on that!
Nika

BitterGrace said...

I know, Nika--if I keep doing these mushroom posts I'll need to put up a disclaimer to discourage amateur mushroom hunters. I am a real coward about sampling the wild ones. Today I saw what looked like perfect chanterelles, which I love. I decided to leave them be, though. I just don't trust my ID skills.

chayaruchama said...

You are my fungi-
My pretty fungi...
You make me happy
When skies are grey....

Thanks, baby ;)

BitterGrace said...

You're welcome, Chaya. Glad you liked 'em.